Choosing the right trade show giveaway isn’t easy. You want something that will entice attendees to visit your exhibit—and stand out enough that they’ll remember where they got it. Even better is if it’s something with staying power that your target audience will use in their personal or professional lives.
Looking for some inspiration? You’ve come to the right place. Here are the five best giveaways we spotted at Veterinary Meeting & Expo (VMX) this winter—and why we like them.
- A reward for learning, doing or experiencing something. If you aren’t requiring that attendees earn their premium by doing your demo, hearing your presentation—or at least opting in to your e-marketing, you are missing out on a prime opportunity to use your giveaway to move the needle. Merck Animal Health put this approach into practice by rewarding VMX attendees who participated in their matching game (and learned about Merck’s product portfolio) with a Poochables To Go portable food and water system.
- Perceived value. If your premium gets left behind when the attendee checks out of their hotel room, you’ve just wasted your money. The secret here is that the perceived value of the gift has to be high enough to earn your giveaway a spot in the attendee’s suitcase. Merck’s Poochables giveaway definitely hit the mark.
- Aligns with the attendees’ interests. Hill’s Pet Nutrition knows that VMX attendees are passionate about dogs and cats. So, over the past few years, Hill’s has made a tradition of thanking their booth visitors for attending their presentations with a custom, artist-designed canvas tote bag featuring graphics of cute cats and dogs. This year, the bags were reversible, giving the attendee the ability to select the color that best fit their personality. And because the bags are high-quality and durable, Hill’s knows the vets will use then for years to come.
- Personalized. Attendees are most likely to wait in line for—and keep—something that has been created just for them. Royal Canin drew huge crowds with the promise of a custom engraved dog or cat collar for every attendee who visited three of its product stations. This premium also hit the mark for having an extremely high perceived value.
VMX attendees were also willing to wait in line a long time to receive a custom pet caricature from Zoetis. In exchange for opting in for marketing emails and sharing a photo of their pet, attendees received the promise that the caricature of their pet would arrive in their inbox in about two weeks.
- Reinforces the experience. Your giveaway is an opportunity to reiterate your main message one more time (or many more times if your premium is something attendees will continue to use). Purina Pro Plan gave attendees who visited its in-booth presentation a copy of “From Fearful to Fear Free.” Not only is this book currently very popular with the vet community (and therefore a big draw), it is the perfect premium to support the launch of Purina’s new Calming Care diet which helps to treat canine anxiety. Anyone who is interested in the product will be interested in the book—and vice versa.
What great giveaways have you seen on the show floor lately?